login register   email us
forums > Scout > Tracker School Scout?

Below lists the thread for this topic.

(add reply)

PosterThread Detail

4/18/2011 11:07:03 AM Tracker School Scout?
So I have been looking to see if it would be worth taking the Tracker School Scout classes or if I should just stick to the OnPoint Classes. From what iv heard the classes are nothing compared to what you read in his books. I mean really how well is Tom Browns skills..? Being able to camouflage so well as not to be seen even when standing next to someone and his way of saying the best place to hide is in plane sight where no one would expect to see you? sounds a little far fetched and not practical.
All iv been able to find is info on the web saying he camoed so well for the Hunted movie thay couldent see them on camera and he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.. just looking for some opinions i sapose.

(edit) | (quote)
badmoon actual
4/18/2011 12:30:50 PM 
Never been to a tracker class but Kevin used to be the head instructor for the scout class at Tracker School and Kevin worked with DelToro on the Hunted movie so in a way you are getting some of the same things with Onpoint, and I have been to 3 classes ranging in size from about 10 to only 5, so you have one instructor for every 5 students. It is a very personal class. The winter scout/survival we went shopping and to meals as a class, so you get to talk and learn over a meal.

I look at the classes as 3 parts. The class material, the stuff over meals out side the classroom{really the training site,a real environment} and what you learn from other students. I still keep in touch with Kelly and Kevin on facebook as well as a couple of students from classes I have taken so it is very personal and not something you just pay for and then you are on your own.

(edit) | (quote)
Dan
4/18/2011 2:04:02 PM 
Never taken the Tracker Scout classes...but have taken multiple calsses at both schools. As a whole the tracker schools approach is very different than Kevins. At onPoint you will learn hard skills, get direct answers to questions and all in a class that runs around 3 days.

At tracker school, you will get a lot of non-answers, they say this is designed to get you to search for the answers yourself so you'll learn it better, but when I'm paying you money to teach me stuff, I expect a direct answer. Also, if you can't stomach a lot of the Philosophical mumbo jumbo, then Tracker School likely is not for you. The classes run a week long (at least they used to..and I think they still do) and you will learn about the same amount af actual hard skills.

By the way, when I use the term hard skills, I don't mean difficult skills, I mean measurable skills. Your ability to do sink and fade in to the background, set a trap, track quarry, etc....soft skills are things that are not as measurable...getting in tune with nature, imagining things, listening to spirits, "sensing" a track with your awareness rather than your eyes, hands or cognitive skills in estimating where the next track may be.

(edit) | (quote)
Trackerdoc
4/18/2011 5:42:05 PM 
I have been to alot of tracker and onpoint classes and with the right instructors, the tracker classes are excellent for scout. there are large teams, lots of good skills and team fun. in gereral maybe 80 to 100 people warring on you over vast areas. its just a different skill set and when kevin was teaching there it was awesome I understand. It also depends on the group of students. even more so a small size at kevins class can be very energetic and fast paced or slothful and anemic if the small mix is wrong. thats uncommon but you get the idea.
I have seen for myself some great skills by some of the shadow scouts at the tracker school, with entire classes oblivious to cammo'd volunteers crawling amongst us, touching us from the trailside thinking they are branches. there were those that werent that good as well and easy to see, but honestly by then you were looking for them. Anyway, the techniques are at both schools, you will enjoy both. Kevins were more informative and more hard skills. tracker school maybe a little more physically demanding.

(edit) | (quote)
TheModernScout
4/20/2011 9:56:37 AM scout invisibility
here is what tom was saying...

but.. if u don't "believe" this, u wont understand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZM1w2awDDM

(edit) | (quote)
RedcrossReborn
12/5/2012 2:57:07 PM 
Kelly Alwood (who teaches at OnPoint) also teaches classes at Sigma III in Arkansas. There site is here: http://www.survivalschool.us/

It also may be closer if you live on the East coast.

(edit) | (quote)
kevinreeve
12/5/2012 9:06:07 PM 
Kelly is no longer teaching for Sigma 3. In fact he is in St George tonight, preparing to teach Surviving Deadly Contact starting tomorrow.

(edit) | (quote)
RedcrossReborn
12/6/2012 8:25:12 AM 
Well...never mind then!

Time for me to take jrk's advice and start selling plasma for that plane ticket. Or maybe I should just talk my wife into moving to St. George! :) I wonder how many DBA jobs are available there...

(edit) | (quote)

(add reply)