login register   email us
forums > Scout > AR-15 lower receivers: differences, recommendations?

Below lists the thread for this topic.

(add reply)

PosterThread Detail
Urban Medic
10/23/2012 7:33:51 AM AR-15 lower receivers: differences, recommendations?
I'm planning on a new project to build my own AR-15 from the ground up, and in looking around, I noticed a boatload of lower receivers on the market. Is there something I should be looking for or avoiding? Manufacturers, metals, etc?

Thanks!

(edit) | (quote)
Urban Medic
11/2/2012 3:02:38 PM 
bump

(edit) | (quote)
Ronky
11/20/2012 9:27:57 AM 
You can read tons of stuff on billet or forged. However, I'd just stick with a high-quality manufacturer and go from there. I have both a Noveske and LMT lower. Both run fine. Noveske is considered top-of-the-line for the "AR fan/aftermarket" crowd while LMT is likewise a high-quality mil-spec manufacturer. Either would be a great starting point. You might want to look also for a flared mag well. It can help with stressed or other speed reload needs.

As far as the lower, I'd be more concerned with the maker of the trigger, rather than the maker of the frame (as long as you stick with a good manufacturer as stated above). My preference has been Geissele Automatics for all my trigger replacements. I have both a Geissele adjustable and the SSA-E. If you want a bomb-proof solid trigger without the fuss of adjustment, stick with the SSA-E. It's tuned at the factory and provides a great, crisp break.

As far as all of the other aftermarket add-ons available, you can go crazy with the bells and whistles available. Keep in mind however, many simply add weight to an already well-performing weapon. And don't forget ... Many of the add-ons provide solutions to problems that never existed.

My advice, in summary, Noveske or LMT lower and Geissele SSA-E ... Start there.

(edit) | (quote)
Urban Medic
11/21/2012 11:34:25 AM 
Thanks! There's a load of info out there on the web, and I'd rather get decent recommendations rather than sift through 5 tons of chaff to get at the few grains of good information.

(edit) | (quote)
RedcrossReborn
12/6/2012 10:01:52 AM 
Speaking of ARs. I realized after taking the scout class that black sticks out like a beacon at night. Does anyone know of any tutorials on camouflaging an AR?

(edit) | (quote)
jkr
12/6/2012 10:51:40 AM 
Here is a good write up.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=127872#Post127872

(edit) | (quote)

(add reply)