login register   email us
forums > Wilderness Survival > february off grid medical class 2013

Below lists the thread for this topic.

(add reply)

PosterThread Detail
Trackerdoc
11/13/2012 11:56:43 AM february off grid medical class 2013
so I am committed to a february off grid medical class. gonna do it in utah, close to Kevin's place. I am really excited and I hope many of you can come. I will try to get you all the good training we can squeeze into 3 days to help get you the skills you want. any new stuff wanna work on?

on the agenda is:
gunshot wounds and trauma management
bites
laceration repair
advance airway management
chest trauma and abdomina trauma
basic surgical airways
basic life support, trauma assessment,
simple assessment of the medical patient
resource list
improvised medicine and management of common anticipated ailments
orthopedics, especilly casting and splinting
what do you need in a kit for different scenarios
guerilla hospitals
basic amputation
new hemostatics and tourniquets
pain control

what else? remember we have limitted time and I am trying to impart some bsic stuff that you wont have access to outside formal education and military training. I cant waste time, but dont wanna miss what is important to you either. Just prior to coming down for the class, I will be attending the national winter conference of the wilderness medicine society for 4 days. I will attempt to bring you the state of the art of wilderness medicine, tactical medicine, combat medicine, mountain medicine, disaster medicnine, etc. Bring good questions and get ready to get bloody and messy. also bring your experience. i learn so much from you guys when we do these classes!

(edit) | (quote)
Trackerdoc
11/13/2012 12:19:40 PM 
how about about basic obsterics? newborn care? obviously couldnt cover it in detail, but familiarizing you with the basics of delivery and what to expect plus some simple manuvers might be useful.

(edit) | (quote)
agentlance
11/16/2012 7:48:31 AM 
This is an amazing class. I took this class in NJ in 2011 and can't say enough good things about it. Doc is fantastic and that coupled with Kevin's experience makes for a really great learning environment. It is a hands-on class and everything that you learn in this class is applicable to a variety of situations. I've taken seven other classes with Kevin and this is one of my favorites.

(edit) | (quote)
Trackerdoc
11/19/2012 3:41:27 PM 
thanks for the compliment. this class should be even better than new jersy. hem more of these we do, the better the class gets.everyone who comes and asks questions gets me closer to what everyone wants.

(edit) | (quote)
RedcrossReborn
12/10/2012 6:03:49 PM 

(edit) | (quote)
jkr
12/5/2012 5:59:08 AM 
I don't know man, I don't see sigma 3 offering their EMT on the calender. I think you need to start selling plasma. Donate twice a week at $30 a pop. Better yet, get your wife to donate with you! You'll have your plane ticket before the end of Jan., in plenty of time for Off Grid Med. ;)

Seriously, it sounds like the class that Trackerdoc is putting on will be very unique. Chocked full of info not easily obtained. I'm looking forward to it.

(edit) | (quote)
jkr
12/10/2012 5:40:46 AM 
Trackerdoc, could you teach us how to extract thyroid hormones from animals? That would be awesome. I look forward to the class in Feb!

(edit) | (quote)
kevinreeve
12/10/2012 6:09:31 PM 
Kelly Alwood is no longer attached to Sigma 3. They offer very limited classes without him. He just completed teaching Surviving Deadly Contact here with onPoint. We have another one scheduled for later in the year. I would agree that saving your money for a trip to Las Vegas and a shuttle ride to St George will be worth your money.

The Off Grid Medicine class will rock your world. Nothing offered by any other school will compare. And Surviving Deadly Contact will take you from being a gun owner to a gun fighter.

(edit) | (quote)
Trackerdoc
12/11/2012 11:53:30 AM 
I have to agree with kevin. what we will be doing is akin to some training sf medics might get. its not an emt course for sure. I encourage everyone to take an emt course and get all the training you can, but this class is special in that we are teaching you things that an emt class wouldnt cover. my emts in my home town beg me for these skills. The emt course at your local vo tech is invaluable in my community, but I dont really try to cover that. we are ooking at skills that you just cant get anywhere else and for a time when you are the guy put in the situation of caring for a trauma patient and other ilnesses in an off-grid situation. I will sure look into harvesting thyroid and insulin, you may not like the answer, but i will look:)
I love sigma 3, kelly and onpoint. they have all contributed to my learning over the years and I am a huge fan of them. hate to see a parting of the ways, but hopefully temperary cause i love having all those guys down in my neck of the woods!

(edit) | (quote)
Hired Gun
2/3/2013 8:57:04 AM 
Kevin / trackerdoc
Any updates on this course ? is it still a Go ? Also what hotels are being reccommended ? I am in the planning stages now. Thanks in advance.

(edit) | (quote)
Trackerdoc
2/8/2013 5:12:35 AM 
oh its still a go. i have invested thousands of dollars getting supplies and so may hours prepping. I will be in salt lake do wilderness andvancedlife support and the like, but thenwill just pickup a hotelwhen I get to kevins place. apparently it isthe off season and very cheap, unlike salt lake :(

I am mailing 3 goodsize boxes of supplies today. hemostats, sutures,bandages, sterile towels, casting supplies, underwrap, antibiotics, i.v. fluids, needles, I.V. sets, hemotstatic agents, surgical airways, chest seals and all sorts of stuff. gonnabe fun!

(edit) | (quote)

4/16/2014 3:22:05 AM 
Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a black wigs with bangs and it is perfect.

(edit) | (quote)

(add reply)