login register   email us
forums > Tracker > Combat Tracking 1

Below lists the thread for this topic.

(add reply)

PosterThread Detail
jkr
11/30/2012 7:12:23 AM Combat Tracking 1
Does anyone know if The Combat Tracking course utilizes paintball or airsoft guns for the training scenarios?

(edit) | (quote)
kevinreeve
11/30/2012 10:17:19 AM 
Yes it does include a final trackdown where both the tracking team and the evaders are armed with paintball guns.

(edit) | (quote)
trackerface
12/1/2012 5:10:14 AM 
Kevin, do you need any bad guys for that Combat Tracking class? I would be happy to come down there to get shot at. I am sad to say our class missed out on a contact situation at the end of our trackdown. Notwithstanding missing that part, the class was very well done and very enjoyable. I would recommend it to all.
Richard

(edit) | (quote)
trackerface
12/20/2012 7:51:07 PM 
Is anyone planning on attending the tracking class this January? How about the counter and anti tracking class?

I am very excited to be able to go down to St. George and learn more then. The counter and anti tracking from the combat tracking was really impressive, I can only imagine that more focus on that subject for 3 days will be mind blowingly amazing. I hope that by making me focus on the tiny things that give away one who has counter and anti tracking skills will improve my tracking skills in general to locate and follow tracks.

As an update, I have been trying to track when I get the chance. I am starting to pick up on small breaks in plants and color variations. This isn't all the time, but it is happening more often. In general I am noticing smaller details. For example, I went and tracked myself across a hard, packed, worn dirt road. At first I intentionally dragged and kicked the ground a bit to get used to the disturbances. I then kept walking in a normal fashion. After, I cut back around and went to my first tracks. As I started to move down the trail I noticed that I kept seeing very small rocks moved or little gaps where the rocks used to sit. It was a fun experience.

I will be the first to admit that I am a novice in tracking. I hope that others can benefit from these postings. Not many people post on the tracking side of the forums. There is much less that is immediately gratifying. It takes lots of time to develop tracking skills, but it actually pays off. I find I keep having more and more chances to use these skills. For me, however, I don't usually have the time to go out tracking for hours on end (rephrase- my wife isn't usually too keen on me taking off all the time). Instead, I try to stop and lay 10 to 30 steps in different places and then track myself across the different terrains. I try and focus on finding all the tracks. I then try and look up and see all the tracks from a distance and recognize the disturbances from far away.

What do you trackers out there do to practice? Can you give the rest of us any ideas? Do you find that animal tracking makes you a better man tracker? And vise versa?
As always I wish you all the best. Develop these skills before you need them.
Richard

(edit) | (quote)
Trackerdoc
12/21/2012 5:19:23 PM 
i would if I could, but cost is proibitive as is time. looks real good.

(edit) | (quote)
trackerface
1/17/2013 8:17:28 AM 
I just came back from the Anti and Counter-Tracking class. It was so good. I wasn't sure what would be different from the material covered in the combat tracking class, but i came away very satisfied.

By the end of it we layed a trail for a partner to attempt to follow. We used the tactics we learned to hide our trail. Then we followed along with our partner as they tracked and attempted to give them clues to help them on the trail. I could hardly find my own trail I left for my partner. I had just as much difficulty finding my partner's trial he left for me. Others in the class had similar experiences. I went from thinking I could track to feeling like I sucked at tracking.

These tactics work. Like every other class I have taken here I highly recommend this class.

(edit) | (quote)

(add reply)