login register   email us
forums > Scout > security and medical care

Below lists the thread for this topic.

(add reply)

PosterThread Detail
Trackerdoc
12/26/2012 10:44:09 AM security and medical care
we have this upcomming off grid medical class, and we will be focusing on gunshot wounds and the like, but the recent active shooter activity, especially with the 4 firemen shot, 2 of whom were killed, brings to mind the need to focus on security.

scene response is not an area of expertise for me. i'm a doctor, or a combat medic or tactical medic. ballistic protection, being in good shape and having the right mindset a great. being setup to deliver good quality rapid care at the site of an injured party is good stuff. having the skills available to you so you dont have to think about them are necessary for sure. but on thing we dont think about as muchis scene security and return fire. now you cant hide behind a red cross and hope someone wont shoot you.

so any thoughts here? is the answer just more lead down field?

(edit) | (quote)
RedcrossReborn
1/21/2013 5:18:08 PM 
You are right about this being a difficult issue. I remember in my EMT classes we were constantly hammered about keeping ourselves safe. "Because you can't help anyone if you're dead." But with the increasing dangerous times like this, it annoys me that the standard procedure is to wait on the police to show up and protect us.

I've heard of some classes that teach how to maintain a patient while returning fire. Might be a good time to sign up for such a class. I saw one here: http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/june8-2012-trauma-medicine-ccw-operator-gadsden-al.aspx

Plus the class will count towards my EMS CEUs!

(edit) | (quote)
Trackerdoc
1/23/2013 2:39:23 PM 
I tried to make the link work a couple of times and couldnt connect. I agree, tactical medical training is a huge hole in my game. I love what kelly has taught me with surviving deadly contact. I would like to expand on this witha good tactical medic physicians course. i know there has to be some special tactics for medics beyond my general knowlege

(edit) | (quote)
RedcrossReborn
3/7/2013 6:41:38 PM 
Not sure why that other link didn't work. But I've also found out about this school:
http://lonestarmedics.com/courses/

(edit) | (quote)
Trackerdoc
3/8/2013 2:59:07 PM 
looks like an excellent site. what a good concept.

(edit) | (quote)

(add reply)