login register   email us
forums > Scout > Bear Grylls will get you killed

Below lists the thread for this topic.

(add reply)

PosterThread Detail
Bad Karma Actual
10/27/2009 1:15:55 AM Bear Grylls will get you killed
The following is a conversation I had with a friend over Facebook-

It was in response to my post saying simply that- Bear Grylls will get you killed.
He responded saying, "you're a girl"
To which I responded "So... When stranded in the artic circle, it's a good idea to strip naked and swim across an iced-over river?

He responded again, saying, "If there's food on the other side.'

So the rest of the conversation went like this. Feel free to comment, because, I think my friend's being an idiot.

ME
he had already killed a reindeer- he didn't need food

HIM
you realize your logic really sucks on this right?
he's SHOWING YOU HOW TO DO THINGS IN CASE YOU HAVE TO DO THEM

ME
YOU SHOULD NEVER JUMP INTO A FREEZING RIVER WHEN THE AIR TEMP IS BELOW FREEZING

HIM
wrong
and what if you fall in? should you not know how to warm back up?

ME
well you first then
Me personally, I would stay the hell away from the freezing water. Seeing as how, if you actually watch the episode, he had no need to cross it

HIM
he isn't showing needs
he's demonstrating skills
I fail to understand how this extremely simple point continues to elude you, who are a fairly intelligent person

ME
stripping naked and jumping into a snowy river is not a survival skill

HIM
yes it is retard
if you knew anything about winter survival, you'd understand that it is something you need to know how to fix

ME
i understand the idea of showing what humans are capable of, but the average schmo that get's lost and then goes, "well I saw Bear Grylls do this" is gonna die.
And that's not Bear's fault that the guy is an idiot. It just seems that a lot of the show should be entitled, Don't Do This Under Any Circumstances

HIM
people fall in cold water all the time
I've fallen in a frozen river before

ME
I've almost fallen in one- but again- he didn't do it to show you what to do in case you did. He went- I need to go over there and stripped naked and jumped in.

HIM
well what happens if you're crossing ice and it's broken off and you have to go through the water?
or you DO have to cross a river?
I know you'll never admit it, but hopefully someday you realize how stupid you are for arguing this

ME
I'd think three times about crossing a frozen river and look for another way across- ie a fallen tree or something rather than jumping into freezing water in sub freezing air temps.

HIM
oh yeah, because there's tons of fallen trees in places that are frozen tundra
good call
I can see you've spent some time up north
haha

ME
again- if you watched the episode- there were plenty of trees where he was

HIM
HE'S DEMONSTRATING SKILLS
any retard can cross a tree without adivce
advice
I've also seen him eat disgusting grubs when there was other food around
you don't think MAYBE he was trying to show something that you might not know how to do?

ME
eating bugs and jumping into freezing water where you will die if you don't make it back out in less than four minutes are two COMPLETELY different things.

HIM
no, because he's showing you how to do things
it's instruction
you don't think they teach you shit like that in wilderness survival classes?
because they do

ME
i'm pretty sure they would teach you to not go in the freezing water.

HIM
he's not saying, hey, if you're bored, get in the water
and they DO, because I've DONE training like that
they teach you how to get out and warm up so you don't die

ME
if you fall in

HIM
because it could just so happen that you would fall through ice, or have to cross a river
because some rivers are long, in case you were unaware

ME
did they tell you that jumping in and swimming is a great way to get across?
because that's what he was teaching- it WASN'T hey- if you fall in, here's how to get out
I've actually seen him do that before and it makes sense

HIM
yeah, because what are you going to do if you NEED to cross, and you can't FIND a tree, Mr Genius Tarzan?
and there are no shallows
huh?

ME
this time, it was- hey- jumping in is a good idea.

HIM
what then?

ME
go a different route

HIM
oh yeah, because you should hike 400 miles in the winter to find the headwaters of the river, then go around it

ME
again- watch the episode

HIM
Lord help me if I ever get lost in the cold with you I'm eating you
second day

So there you have it. Am I wrong? Personally, I think Bear Grylls' advice is deadly. Kevin, Kelly- I would love it if you weighed in on this. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but personally, I'm pretty sure that jumping into below-freezing water in below-freezing air temps is a horrible idea.

(edit) | (quote)
Bumppo
10/27/2009 10:36:23 AM 
That is a really funny dialogue. Tell your buddy thanks for the laugh (even though it is not nice to laugh at bozos). He made my day.

(edit) | (quote)
Dan
10/27/2009 12:32:02 PM 
I can see both sides actually...the concept behind the show really is to show you what to do just in case. So, while you may get some good info out of his show, it is presented with such insanely stupid actions that it is ridiculous to anyone who knows about survival. Yes, it would be important to know what to do if you fell into a freezing river, but it should never be presented as an option for finding food. Takes weeks to starve...seconds to die in freezing temps.

The best episode of Grylls I saw was when he had Will Ferrel with him....that was hilarious.

(edit) | (quote)
woodsman
11/10/2009 12:11:38 PM 
I lost interest in the first episode I saw of Bear running full speed, then pretending to climb down a waterfall in the Tropics (I could see the safety rope in one of the clips).

Nothing like filling your head with Rambo commando ideas!

Reality is...Many people who are lost and try to walk out end up dying because they burn too many calories and die of hypothermia or dehydration. Or they loose fingers and toes to the cold.

Best to stay put, conserve energy and keep warm-hydrated-fed...and stay away from icy waters! Walk out is a last resort, but fire building and sheltering in cold is first objective.

Moral to the story, the P's...proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.

(edit) | (quote)

4/6/2010 1:08:35 PM 
Bear won't get anyone killed.

If people can't discern between a tv show for entertainment and actual survival training in the field, who's fault is that?

Don't pass the blame buck onto Bear.

Were I ever in the position of having to survive in the wilderness, I would gladly have Bear in my group.

(edit) | (quote)
Backwoodsman
4/6/2010 8:45:28 PM 
I have gotten bored and sick of Bear myself. It would be like Kevin or Kelly going Hollywood just for the money. In winter survival class they made a point of stressing keeping dry.

Maybe Bear knows his stuff, maybe not, I don't know him personally. I do know food is low on the list of things you need if you are only spending a few days in the woods before going home. You need shelter and water more than food.

The over all point I think is bad advice is worse than no advice. Bear gives a lot of bad advice and too many fools out there watch these shows and think they know how to do what the guy on TV does. I used to think the same thing, when I was 12 or so with all the Rambo type movies out there. I later learned better. I guess some people never learn better.

(edit) | (quote)
RedcrossReborn
12/7/2012 8:55:36 PM 

(edit) | (quote)

(add reply)