login register   email us
forums > Current Events / World Affairs > Disgruntled employee remotely disables 100 cars

Below lists the thread for this topic.

(add reply)

PosterThread Detail
kevinreeve
3/18/2010 6:38:00 AM Disgruntled employee remotely disables 100 cars
"DALLAS – A man fired from a Texas auto dealership used an Internet service to remotely disable ignitions and set off car horns of more than 100 vehicles sold at his old workplace, police said Wednesday.

Austin police arrested Omar Ramos-Lopez, 20, on Wednesday, charging him with felony breach of computer security.

Ramos-Lopez used a former colleague's password to deactivate starters and set off car horns, police said. Several car owners said they had to call tow trucks and were left stranded at work or home.

"He caused these customers, now victims, to miss work," Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said. "They didn't get paid. They had to get tow trucks. They didn't know what was going on with their vehicles."

Ramos-Lopez was in the Travis County Jail on Wednesday with bond set at $3,000. The Associated Press could not find a working phone number for his family.

The Texas Auto Center dealership in Austin installs GPS devices that can prevent cars from starting. The system is used to repossess cars when buyers are overdue on payments, said Jeremy Norton, a controller at the dealership where Ramos-Lopez worked. Car horns can be activated when repo agents go to collect vehicles and believe the owners are hiding them."

More.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100317/ap_on_hi_te/us_hacker_sabotaged_cars;_ylt=Ahih4cA.nhg5fKTj0pGpCzWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNzbThvMDFuBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMzE3L3VzX2hhY2tlcl9zYWJvdGFnZWRfY2FycwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzkEcG9zAzYEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawN0ZXhhbmFjY3VzZWQ-

(edit) | (quote)

3/18/2010 8:51:43 AM Nameless
I can't tell you how interesting I find this article.

(edit) | (quote)
Yoink
3/18/2010 1:04:07 PM 
I am curius to know if the people that buy the cars know that they have this GPS feature installed.

(edit) | (quote)
Backwoodsman
3/18/2010 1:15:55 PM 
I am glad I got older early 90s truck and SUV, so I can't have this problem. Maybe people will learn that all this extra doo dads designed to make them safe also makes them more vulnerable. I would like to rebuild some older trucks, make them mostly EMP proof.

(edit) | (quote)
Phantom
3/19/2010 11:35:57 AM 
This is an aftermarket add-on. Dealerships who sell to higher risk customers install these devices on cars that have a computer system. It's their insurance policy if you don't pay. Outside of higher interest rates and often not having the financial benefits of credit bureau reporting these dealers can disable your vehicle if the payment is not made on time. In some cases, when your payment is received you in turn get a code that you punch into a keypad mounted in the car and it allows the starter/electrical system to operate normally. If you don't pay they track down your car, if it's hidden they use the horn to locate it.

(edit) | (quote)
Kemlyn
3/22/2010 6:34:53 AM 
Interesting how 'security' features can infact create more vulnerabilities.
I know S**T about e-security,and guess I need to learn!

(edit) | (quote)
kevinreeve
3/24/2010 5:37:22 AM 
Dealers routinely install tracking devices to aid in repossession. The thought is that if you know the tracker is there and that they can always find the car, that you will keep up on payments. It is not motivated by theft prevention, though your insurance company will usually lower rates on GPS protected cars. But the bottom line here is not theft prevention, but recovery in the event of non-payment. Interesting psychology.

(edit) | (quote)
wannabescout
3/24/2010 5:47:24 AM 
I wonder if there would be any way to disrupt the transmission given off by the GPS device. Perhaps line the hood of the vehicle with mylar? I would assume these devices are also limited by terrain like commercial GPS. Wonder how many other ways you could defeat these...

(edit) | (quote)

1/9/2013 11:04:38 AM Disgruntled Employee Remotely
Good thing older car models do not have all of those advanced elecronics.

(edit) | (quote)

9/17/2013 1:57:30 AM 
The GPS tracking device is also a kind of electronic product and a lot of people now are suffering from the tracking of it and this is really a kind of suffering for them. And for the people who hate of being tracked then the gps signal jammer is a good assistant.

(edit) | (quote)

(add reply)