Below lists the thread for this topic.

(add reply)

PosterThread Detail
Bad Karma Actual
8/29/2010 10:07:05 PM Faraday Cages
First of all some background:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2013150,00.html

Which leads me to my question- in several parts:

1. I have an iPhone and will soon upgrade to another iPhone.

2. The only way to defeat someone trying to track you using your own GPS device is to remove the battery from the device completely

3. The iPhone battery is permanently built-in (read, non-removeable.)

So- how would one go about building a Faraday Cage in one's glovebox or center console?

Also, would this even be feasible?
Would a Faraday Cage block the GPS receiver in the iPhone or the cell signal itself when wanted?

Or, does anyone know where to purchase a Faraday Cage pre-built for an iPhone?

Also, who is this Bad Moon Actual guy. I smell a trademark lawsuit.

(edit) | (quote)
Mark
8/30/2010 5:56:28 AM 
I am not sure how the iphone works, but isn't there a way to shut it down fully? If so you can do that and it should be the end of it. There is also a baggy/ passport holder out that you can put your passport in. They say its to prevent thieves from stealing your info from the chip. How they could do that is beyond me as I am not sure if its a RFID tag or a actual chip. Regardless this bag promotes that concept, and should block the signal, since its a wire mesh bag. If you shut it off I don't think it can be powered on remotely (maybe iphones can) because its not receiving anything at that point.

(edit) | (quote)
Bad Karma Actual
8/30/2010 6:18:46 AM Faraday Cages
Even when turned completely off, all electronic devices that use memory are still using power. They have to have a constant flow of power to maintain things like internal clocks. So even when the iPhone is "off" it's not really off.

So it, and other phones like it, unless their batteries are removed completely, can be remotely tracked. In most cell phone's cases, their location can be triangulated using cell towers. I'm not entirely sure about the GPS antenna but I want to be safe.

(edit) | (quote)
peredehuit
8/30/2010 7:15:41 AM peredehuit
Instead of trying to turn the device off (something that is a challenge to verify with any certainty), perhaps jamming the GPS signal might be the best way to avoid being tracked. Low power RF noise in close proximity to the device should interrupt the signal well enough to avoid detection without interfering with other phones in the area. Although if your car has GPS in it then you'll lose that too.

(edit) | (quote)

8/30/2010 7:50:00 AM 
Faraday cages are great for blocking RIFD signals, which are pretty low power and short range. For example, shoplifters have been known to use 'booster bags'--shopping bags lined with tin foil--to shield products that might be tagged with anti-theft RFIDs.

In principle, there's no reason why a Faraday cage wouldn't work for a more powerful emitter of electromagnetic radiation, such as a cell phone transmitting its location to local towers. More shielding would probably be necessary. What you might try is making a pouch out of tin foil and duct tape (http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Make_a_Faraday_Cage_Wallet gives the basic idea) and see if you can call your phone when it's placed inside. If the phone doesn't ring, the signal should be blocked. If it does, you might need another layer or two of tin foil.

No idea if this would also be sufficient to protect against an EMP--probably depends on how powerful the pulse is and how close to it you are.

(edit) | (quote)
RCrusoe
9/5/2010 1:57:26 AM Potato chips
A very simple and cheap solution is to simply put the phone into an empty potato chip bag and fold it closed. I tried this after seeing it done in a movie (Enemy of the state, I think) and was surprised to find that it successfully blocked all signal to and from my phone.

For something as small as a cell phone I don't think you'll need a Faraday cage. I think a construction like that would only really be necessary if you were trying to shield yourself from really heavy duty power- lightning strikes or possibly EMP.

Another handy and heavier duty Faraday shield is your standard microwave oven- just be sure not to turn it on while your phone is inside.

(edit) | (quote)
RCrusoe
9/5/2010 1:59:20 AM to be specific
When I say potato chip bag I mean the foil bags, of course. Kettle chips, while delicious, won't do you much good.

(edit) | (quote)
RCrusoe
9/6/2010 9:59:50 AM peredehuit
Apropos of Peredehuit's suggestion:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4355~r.62579027

A personal cell phone blocker device- capable of dampening not just your device, but all the devices around you. (2-40ft) And all for under $30.

Of course, bad guys could use a device like this to cut off communication during a robbery or home invasion, especially considering how many people are ditching their land-lines in favor of cells. Something to consider, I suppose.

(edit) | (quote)

12/27/2012 7:33:21 PM 
As we all know,While the mobile phone brings great conveniences to people, it also raises new challenge on the security of confidential work. In recent years, the wiretap, cheating in examination, medical negligence and gas station explosion with mobile phone occurred and it has aroused great concern of the society. Maybe it's one of the reasons that promoted the appearance of cell phone jammer.You may be watching a nice movie or enjoying your nap when you get free for sometime. Still you have chances of getting disturbed with your most loved ones and close friend chatting near you on the cell phone. At such hours, if you really care for your free time then you need to buy a cell phone jammer.

(edit) | (quote)

9/17/2013 1:56:52 AM 
The

(edit) | (quote)

9/25/2013 3:22:23 AM 
If do not want the students listen to the radios instead of pay more attention to their studies and what their teachers are teaching then using teh audio jammer is a helpful method.

(edit) | (quote)
Deviated Rationality
9/26/2013 3:06:22 PM 
I didn't really read through *all* of the posts here, but why are we thinking so linearly? I would use this to my advantage, build a small faraday cage (I'm not sure but an ESD bag should work, if not that than a Mylar enclosure WILL work) for temporary use, and then off load the phone on an unsuspecting carrier (say, a cab or someone else you can just slip the phone to without their knowledge) and send who ever is chasing you on a wild goose chase, allowing you to put more distance between yourself and your chasers.

(edit) | (quote)

10/10/2013 1:42:14 PM Pricey but guaranteed to work
I need to carry a mobile phone for work, but after work I don't want to be bothered. I wanted a Faraday bag for my phone but didn't want some Chinese garbage.

I actually found an American manufacturer of Signal blocking bags.
Dead Zone Bags are made in the USA from 100% Stainless steel mesh fabric.
http://www.deadzonebags.com/

It's open construction lets you see if the bag has any holes in it; which is important to prevent radio signal leakage. What the other manufacturers of these bags don't tell you: if the cheap copper mesh they use in their bags starts to break from being bent pack and forth through everyday use; the pretty fabric covering hides the damage; and the bag becomes useless.

(edit) | (quote)

2/13/2014 11:30:52 PM 
The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wireless camera detector as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.

(edit) | (quote)

2/18/2014 10:17:08 PM 
In the information era, people’s life is filled with hustles and bustles. Sometimes we just want a quiet environment to enjoy ourselves. Then you may need this car remote control jammer blocker which can be got from http://www.jammerfromchina.com/categories/Remote_Control_Jammers/ masking for acoustic interference against listening devices.

(edit) | (quote)

2/23/2014 9:53:09 PM 
Do you know why the mobiel phone blockers are used by more and more people now? This is all because at the same time the cell phones has bring us a lot of convenience but also it has brought a lot of inconvenience such as students play with the cell phones in class, people being interrupted by the cell phone jammer when at the meeting and also some people are being tracked by the mobile phone signal tracking devices. And the cell phone blocker is a good tool to solve the problem can be the reliabel place to gain one.

(edit) | (quote)

(add reply)